Monday, April 4, 2016

Bloggers Who Blog

Skimming through the various interviews Rebecca Blood has conducted with bloggers, the one for Tiffany B. Brown (tiffanybbrown.com) grabbed my attention.  Not only does she keep that blog for "Web technology and design, internet life, stuff that catches my eye, and whatever is rumbling through my head at the moment," she also runs BlackFeminism.org where she discusses issues of gender, race, and politics along with CulturedWino.com, where she documents her interest in wine (although upon further investigation, it appears as though the latter two sites no longer exist).

Looking at the time stamp on when the interview was conducted, I had immediate flashbacks to middle school and getting our first "high speed" internet connection at home. I was so excited to be able to play games online and be able to do some studying from home, of course. Granted, it would probably take at least a half hour to get the picture and even longer to get a simple Flash game to load, but it was totally worth it. I felt so high tech. To see that Tiffany B. Brown was making a name for herself on the internet, more specifically the in the blogosphere, while I was just barely dipping my toes into the depths of technology and the internet, is sort of surreal for me.

Looking at the interview more in depth, it seems very familiar, somehow. While at the time, especially for those unfamiliar with the jargon, it might have seemed like Brown was answering in another language, but nowadays, even if those aren't necessarily familiar with the sites she lists, the context and tone in which she responds is relatable and understandable because of the role the internet now plays in our everyday lives. I especially found Brown's comments about her blogging being a hobby but wishing she could survive off of revenue from her blog relatable. While I don't necessarily run a blog, it would be really neat to be able to be paid to do something that you love and consider a hobby.

All in all, the interview was really interesting to read and it was neat to stroll down memory lane because of it. I think blogging is a very engaging media source and the interview further proved that for me, with good questions and down-to-earth answers. I'm looking forward to continuing my blogging adventures and finding my own blogging voice!

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is surreal there were people throwing themselves into blogging when you were in middle school. For a few years, I was one of them. I have a lot of admiration for writers like Brown who manage to keep at it year in, year out, and still find something intelligent and engaging to say. I hope you'll find blogging as enjoyable as she does.

    ReplyDelete